Are you carrying on some business in or around Chennai for which you need workers?
If yes, you could perhaps become our Prisoner-Reformation Partner.
The best incentive a prison-inmate could get is a means of earning his or her livelihood. Such employment not only makes the released prisoner gainfully employed but would also help to change his / her self-image as well his / her image in society.
It is with this view that the Government of Tamil Nadu has planned to launch a Prison Bazar, which will soon become operational.
However, the Prison Bazar will be mostly restricted to the convicts, because it would require relative stability and time-perspective. Therefore, in all likelihood, it will operate only with the convicts in Puzhal-1 Prison.
What about the Remand Prisoners in Puzhal-2 Prison who might remain in prison for a period of a few days to a few months?
If these Remand Prisoners are to go and settle down as responsible citizens, they must be taught some trade during their short period of stay in the prison and must then get employment on their release on bail.
It is with this view that we would like to try a new model in Puzhal-2 prison which could then be extended to other prisons. This is how the model will work:
Social Re-integration Programme:
- You can discuss with me the type of work for which you need workers and the area of Chennai where this work will be available.
- We will identify Remand Prisoners who reside in that area and show keenness to work in your factory / other establishment.
- We will together decide on the total period of time for which training may have to be given and will provide you facilities to conduct such training within the prison premises.
- As a part of this training, I will personally work on the mind of the Remand Prisoner, using meditation and psychological techniques, to take away any possible negative thinking patterns in his / her mind and will create in him / her a strong motivational structure to work with a positive mind.
- By the time the Remand Prisoner is released, he / she will be fully prepared mentally and skill-wise for doing the work for which he / she was chosen.
- Immediately on release on bail, you can employ him / her.
- For a few months, the Remand Prisoner will be called every Sunday to participate in the meditation session in Puzhal premises to ensure that the outside world does not wash off the effects of the meditation and psychological change.
Would you like to Partner in this effort?
In case you would like to be a part of such employment scheme, please get in touch with me. There will be no cost to the employer, except the cost of conducting the training.
Additional Director General of
Tamil Nadu Prison Department
Phone: +91-44-28521512 , +91-44-28521306 , Fax: 91-44-28585942
Director General of
Police/ Director General of Prisons and Correctional Services
Tamil Nadu Prisons and Correctional Services Department
Chennai Metropolitan Development Authority Tower II
No-1, Gandhi Irwin Road, Egmore, Chennai-600 008.
Phone: 91-44-28521512 ,